2/2/12

Rocks


This is a grey agate specimen that measures about 5 in. x 6 in. and fits nicely in the palm of my hand, found south of Wind River Canyon in Wyoming.

There is something about the grey agate I find in that area that I find mesmerizing.  Although I'm crazy about the Aventurine and Fuchsite I find there, this agate is both compelling and soothing.


One day fishing I came across these interesting rock projects left behind on the beach, which most likely were made by children.  They are single leaves of common mullein - a useful herb that grows abundantly at the lake.  I remember playing with rocks and having a drawerful in my dresser as a child; we'd play for hours in the driveway in mudpuddles, making dams and rivers and all types of creations.  As a child I picked up rocks and put them in my pockets during recesses, and my mom would complain about all the rocks.


What is it about perfectly symmetrical rocks that draw one's attention?
Like this stone orb.  Perfect!


 Here is a rather large fattened orb, heavy as it has some iron in it.